The University of Edinburgh has an unbroken record of teaching and research in the earth sciences going back to 1770, when Robert Ramsay became the first Professor of Natural History. James Hutton and Arthur Holmes were prominent amongst those who set an academic tradition in Edinburgh that continues today with top ratings in Earth Science teaching (TQA grade Excellent) and research (RAE level 5A). Earth and Planetary Sciences is now part of the School of GeoSciences.
Teaching and Research activities are centred on the Grant Institute and adjacent John Murray Laboratories at The King's Buildings, the site of the University's College of Science and Engineering. The site is host to a number of institutes that have strong links with the University, including the British Geological Survey at Murchison House.
Please follow the adjacent links for information in Research, Postgraduate opportunities or Undergraduate study in the Geology and Geophysics degree programmes.